Saturday, August 3, 2024

Live Shorter, Feel Better?

 

Keith and me in Gatlinburg on family trip, July 2024

My dad was a doctor so I trust what they say

do what they tell me

until I began to suspect

they don’t know or care about diabetes

or maybe about me

I was prescribed drugs plural that caused blood sugar spike

doctor suggested spike was weight related

have you gained weight?

No!

well your numbers are not that bad

could be your age natural progression of disease

she switched me to different blood pressure drug

because I insisted.

 

Two months ago I began to play lively pickleball

but kept pulling leg muscles

must be your age people said

then I pulled a large leg muscle

bruise the size of my hand

appeared instantly on my leg!

What the hell?

Physical therapist happened to be playing

we see these a lot he said

do you take statin for high cholesterol?

Yes.

The older you are the longer you take statins

the more damage they do to your muscles

sometimes permanent damage he said.

 

No doctor ever told me that

more research proved him true

also statins raise blood sugar.

 

I stopped taking statin

no more pulled muscles or bruises

no more muscle cramps

I was getting at least once a week.

 

I know next blood test will show

bad cholesterol is high

but

since I stopped the statin

I feel better than I have in years

well I’ve been on it ten years!

 

Of course I am playing lively pickleball

with much younger people

three times a week

it could be that.

 

This is what I know:

I’d rather live less time

be active play hard

and feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment