Monday, August 12, 2024

Blowing Rock Again

 

A view of Grandfather Mountain from Julian Price Memorial Park

Blowing Rock again

town of flowers 

low humidity cool breezes

August different from July

last year flowers were riotous

this year day lilies are spent no rhododendrons

instead town is awash in hydrangeas daisies black-eyed Susans

petunias never stop blooming until first freeze.

 

My sister Beth is here

staying in her own upscale place

she likes her own space she says.

 

Katherine stayed here

Thursday to Sunday

Keith arrives today with Penny

along with Beth’s husband Bill.

Me and Katherine
 

I want to be alone just for a while.

 

Arrived Monday

played pickleball Tuesday

open play on outdoor basketball court

in the mornings

around 10:30 gets too hot for me

hot being 75 degrees if sun is shining

ridiculous.

 

Hurricane Debby rained all day Wednesday Thursday

Friday Katherine and I returned to Arborcrest Gardens

hydrangeas blooming there too

Saturday we all went to sappy movie

Katherine was emphatic no pickleball mom

we played mahjong here which Katherine loved

Beth did not.

 

Arborcrest Garden

Which left Sunday morning for pickleball

missed church for first time in forever

mom I can’t believe you are missing church!

even sweet Blowing Rock Methodist

even Cokesbury sing-a-long!

 

There was outdoor worship close

to pickleball courts I enjoyed listening

while playing

service was short

pickleballers came over when it ended

pickleball church!

 

I’m tired of eating out everything is expensive

yesterday and today I told Beth no more

I’m making food and eating it

last night we ate my soup at her place

which has a gorgeous deck.

 

This Friday to Sunday a long-time friend will visit

a lapsed United Methodist

I probably will drag her to church

Blowing Rock Methodist

especially the sing-along

which she will like

if she will go with me.

 

A year ago July I came here

to escape Elderberry

the people the heat feeling trapped indoors

this year Elderberry is in rear-view mirror

I play pickleball every other day in Chapel Hill

except Sundays

in air conditioning

no longer feel trapped inside.

 

This year probably will be my last

to spend more than a few days

in sweet Blowing Rock

the town wrapped in flowers.



No comments:

Post a Comment