Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Wrap Up

 

Rhododendron

I have one and a half days left in Blowing Rock, so it's time for a photographic wrap up. 

The first thing I noticed when I arrived the beginning of July was the rhododendrons. I thought they bloomed earlier in the year, but a cool spring meant they were still blooming all along the Blue Ridge Parkway and in the towns - everywhere, really - even into the third week of July, in shades of white and pink. The second thing I noticed when I opened the car door was the cool, less humid air. It won't be easy to return to the mid-90s at home.

Mature trees in Arborcrest Gardens

I visited Arborcrest Gardens in Boone twice - once with Katherine, once with Beth. It's open only on Fridays by appointment, and a visit is free.

Can't get enough of those red and pink coneflowers

I had never seen orange alstroemeria 


The garden's design was inspired by Disney World

Beth and I visited Grandfather Mountain one day (I went two days, if you count the synchronized firefly event Katherine and I attended). It was windy and chilly, especially on the swinging bridge, which was indeed swinging in the wind. 

I took a video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6UmIvB6h8u8 . You'll have to copy and paste the url.

I am enchanted by tree roots. There are some grandfather trees at Grandfather Mountain.


Cheryl and Beth at Grandfather Mountain

Katherine, Beth, and I also hiked the Glen Burney trail in Blowing Rock, a short, steep down-and-back walk beside a beautiful creek and waterfalls. 

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDKBEPCGxYw

Rhododendron blooms above the clear running water at the Glen Burney trail

I feel sure I'll be back. I look pretty happy and relaxed.

Thank you, God, for this gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment