Sunday, July 9, 2023

Arrival in Blowing Rock

 

Rhododendron blooming in the forest along the Blue Ridge Parkway

Sunday morning, and it is raining for the first time since I arrived here. I’m hoping for a letup before I have to walk about a mile to attend Blowing Rock Methodist Church at the edge of downtown, a church that has zero parking except perhaps for the superstar summer preacher. There’s a hymn-sing at 10:30 a.m. followed by worship.

Nice gig: Live the summer in the church’s parsonage, and preach Sundays from June through August. Of course, who knows what kind of shape the parsonage is in.

I haven’t looked at my laptop until now, and I’ve been here almost a week. Keith and I (and our dog Penny) drove here Monday in separate cars. We lugged suitcases up three flights of stairs to a well-appointed two-bedroom condo which felt, surprisingly, like an oven. Surprisingly, because the temperature outside was only 78, and I have paid for a unit with air conditioning. Apparently, a unit on the top floor heats up quickly, but that’s another story.

Katherine arrived Tuesday evening, and I cooked dinner for her, not the best way to try to cool down a condo. But it was wonderful.  The three of us (four with Penny) did some nature walking off the Blue Ridge Parkway – I’ve never seen the rhododendron bloom like they are blooming now, in shades of pink and white, everywhere.

Katherine and me

Keith and Penny departed Thursday, and Katherine left yesterday. Things were busy while they were here, and now I am alone.

It’s 8:30 a.m., and I see on the radar much heavier rain on the way, due to arrive at exactly the time I will need to start my trek to church. At least I have an umbrella.

Two days ago, Katherine and I enjoyed a visit to Arborcrest in Boone, a private (free) garden open only on Fridays by reservation. We walked the hilly two-mile loop and the trails in between, hardly seeing any people. The elderly doctor who owns the garden designed it to resemble Disney World – though, of course, there are only plants, no rides. It’s fantastic, whimsical, lovely. Here are some photos:



Photo doesn't do the garden justice

Whimsical white spruce

Carnivorous pitcher plant

Hardy cyclamen - Princess Diana



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment