Sunday, July 16, 2023

Time Slips Away

 

Eric, Michelle, and I attended a high tea on Saturday in Banner Elk

How quickly time slips past. My mini-Sabbatical is more than half over, and my week of quiet was definitely finished the instant Eric and Michelle stepped through the door on Friday. As much as I love them and love having them with me, it was a relief to hug them good-bye today.

I can’t even guess how many hours I wasted last week (and today, after church) watching Wimbledon. I have managed to get out once a day to walk. I have prayed but not nearly as much as I had hoped.

After being away from home, some things have become more clear to me. I have missed Keith, our children and their families, and our dog Penny (although I’ve spent time with all of them while here). I have missed Massey’s Chapel more than I thought I would. I am itching to be back in the pulpit, and my next three sermons are ready. I have missed being involved in members' lives.

What I have not missed is the cohousing community in which I live, and this needs some thought and prayer.  I love so many things about it and dislike other things (as with all of life, I suppose). I have been relieved to be away from the constant drama, gossip, and – as Keith calls it – “forced conviviality.” Now that I serve a church that does not indulge much in those things, I don’t welcome them in the rest of my life, either. 

Funny, when I hatched the idea of a mini-Sabbatical back in November, I thought I needed a break from church because I was weary from dealing with the threat of Covid and from the heavy news of church disaffiliations. By the time June rolled around, I was desperate to be away from Elderberry. I also know how “down” I get in July and August – an annual occurrence that happens because of the oppressive heat, my inability to play tennis in the heat, and the feeling of being trapped indoors.

What could be better than living for a whole month in a very cool (literally) and beautiful place? I practically skipped to church and back today in 60-degree weather. The divine gifts I have received since being here have tended to be small, surprising, and refreshing.

My sister arrives Tuesday, and her presence will be another gift from God.

Downtown Blowing Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment