Sunday, March 3, 2024

A Journal for March 2024

 

Sunrise over Carolina Beach

Time is slipping away. We’re well into Lent now, and this week Massey’s Chapel will hire a new pianist. I do not know who it will be between the two finalists, and I find myself surprisingly not particularly concerned. They are both talented. I am not ready for either Palm Sunday or Easter in terms of preaching, nor am I ready at all for Holy Week.

I got through Ash Wednesday using ashes given to me years ago by a colleague.  I’ve been using ashes from the same filthy plastic bag for at least 15 years. Massey's always has a surprisingly large gathering for Ash Wednesday. 

There are some difficult end-of-life and possible end-of-life decisions having to be made by church members. The husband of a MIA-since-Covid member died last week. The member had made public that phone calls and visits were not welcome during husband’s decline. There will be no service. After his death, she let me know she was too busy even for a prayer over the phone. I’m not sure what that’s all about, but no one (including me) has seen her in years because she refused visits for fear of Covid, even after Covid had run its course. Some members used to view her as a “spiritual mother.”  I'm sure her absence is my fault somehow, but I’m tired of trying to figure out why people act the way they do.  

This is what I have done: Keith and I went to Carolina Beach last week at the invitation of a group of card players at Elderberry. All they play is pinochle, so we played endless games of pinochle while the wind blew so hard we could hardly go outside anyway. We laughed a lot. The house sat right on the beach, so I watched the sun rise each morning over the ocean; also the full moon.

We have unpacked almost completely in our new home in Pittsboro. The peeper frogs and coyotes both make a racket at night, which I don't mind. 

I decided to teach a 5- or 6-week class on the parables of Jesus, probably starting the middle of Lent and ending sometime after Easter. I’ve taught it previously, so I have the notes.

I have plane tickets to and from Little Rock for my niece’s April 14 wedding, and the other Pastor Cheryl will preach and lead worship in my absence.

We have reservations near Gatlinburg for a long weekend in July because that is where my son and daughter-in-law selected for a family vacation.

After much consideration, I have reserved a two-bedroom condo in Blowing Rock for Aug. 5-22.

I have three(!) doctor appointments this month, none of them serious I hope.  

If I didn’t have to help secure a new pianist for Massey’s and ensure a smooth transition, I would be retiring in June. My plans are to retire the following June.

My goal is: One foot in front of the other, do the next right thing, and keep praying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment